2012-08-27

6 Feet Deep

    There is a popular idea that all graves are generally dug 6 feet deep (or 1.8 meters).  It is so common that we can see it in many songs, movies, TV Shows, books, poems and so on.  Yet, like with many other common assumptions with the funeral industry it is wrong.  A grave can easily be deeper or shallower than this depending on the circumstance.  So in this post I will address this common assumption and look at how deep a grave can be or actually is dug in NSW.


    The regulations state in the section on "Burials" that:
A person who buries a body contained in a coffin must place the coffin so that its upper surface is not less than 900 millimetres below the natural surface level of the soil where it is buried (Clause 20). The basic intent here is that burial should be at such a depth as to avoid remains being easily disturbed either by people or by animals. There is also the need to contain the odours of decomposition. An exception may be approved following discussion with the local PHU. In the past some cemetery authorities have come up with innovative solutions that have been approved by the local PHU to ensure a grave is sealed and not accessible when the situation has prevented the minimal soil depth requirement from being met.
ReferenceThe Public Health (Disposal of Bodies) Regulation 2002page 13, section 5.

    Basically the top of a coffin has the be at least 900mm (or 2.9 feet) below the surface, this allows for variations in the coffin size and disturbances or erosion of the top soil.  How deep the total grave is depends on what the mourners and/or deceased want and the conditions.

    There are three grave depths in the funeral industry.  The first is 'tripple depth', this is the deepest of the grave depths.  As the name suggests it can accomodate a total of three adult coffins (each on top of the other).  Because of the depth this is the most expensive to dig, yet in some ways the most practical as other family can be buried in the same spot.

    The next is 'double depth', which is the middle one.  It can accomodate two coffins on top of each other and is not as expensive to dig.  This grave type is about 2.1 meters in depth (or 6.8 feet).  This is the grave depth most people think of.  It is the one we see in most movies and TV shows and the closest to 6 feet.

    The final depth is 'single depth'.  This is the shallowest and only holds on coffin.  It is also the cheapest and easiest to dig.  To meet regulations the average single depth grave is about 3-4 feet deep.

    Already we see that two out of the three grave depths are deeper than 6 feet (or 1.8 meters).  Tripple depth is significantly deeper and double depth is noticeably deeper, being almost 7 feet.  The final one, single depth, is actually shallower than 6 feet, being only about 3-4 feet deep.

    So next time you hear about a grave being 6 feet deep or see one on TV you will know that this is untrue.  Like many assumptions people make about the funeral industry it holds no reality or practicality.  But it does sound nice, "six feet deep" has a better ring than "6.8 feet" or "900 millimeters".

An~~

It should be noted that this post is looking at NSW Health laws and regulations.  This might not be applicable or even comparable to other Australian states let alone other countries.

8 comments:

  1. What about the "whole nine yards" theory?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. HOW DR AZIBA HELPED ME ENLARGE MY PENIS SIZE FROM 3.5 INCHES TO 11INCHES LONG AND 8.0 GROWTH https://naturalherbsmedicine.webs.com/
      I got married 2 years ago and it just seemed that there was no excitement in my sex life. My dysfunction to perform to the best of my abilities in bed made it harder for my wife and me to have a good time during sex. And i was having the feelings that she may decide to get a divorce one day. I knew something had to be done in order to improve my sex life and to save my marriage because my marriage was already falling apart, so when i was on my Facebook page i came across a story of how Dr Aziba helped him enlarged his penis to 8ins better.so i Immediately copied the Email address of the Dr and explained to him my problem, he gave me some simply instruction which i must follow and i did easily and my friends Today, i am the happiest man on Earth, All Thanks to Dr Aziba for saving my marriage and making me a real man today. I asked him about some popular diseases like HERPES,HIV AIDS,HEPATITES,DIABETIS, CANCERS, WART, Get Ex back ,etc....... which are affecting most people he said there is no disease without a cure , he has it all...You can as well reach the Dr below for help on your problem, for he has the solution to all...
      Email:[ PRIESTAZIBASOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL COM ]
      WhatsAPP DR [ +2348100368288 ]







      HOW DR AZIBA HELPED ME ENLARGE MY PENIS SIZE FROM 3.5 INCHES TO 11INCHES LONG AND 8.0 GROWTH https://naturalherbsmedicine.webs.com/
      I got married 2 years ago and it just seemed that there was no excitement in my sex life. My dysfunction to perform to the best of my abilities in bed made it harder for my wife and me to have a good time during sex. And i was having the feelings that she may decide to get a divorce one day. I knew something had to be done in order to improve my sex life and to save my marriage because my marriage was already falling apart, so when i was on my Facebook page i came across a story of how Dr Aziba helped him enlarged his penis to 8ins better.so i Immediately copied the Email address of the Dr and explained to him my problem, he gave me some simply instruction which i must follow and i did easily and my friends Today, i am the happiest man on Earth, All Thanks to Dr Aziba for saving my marriage and making me a real man today. I asked him about some popular diseases like HERPES,HIV AIDS,HEPATITES,DIABETIS, CANCERS, WART, Get Ex back ,etc....... which are affecting most people he said there is no disease without a cure , he has it all...You can as well reach the Dr below for help on your problem, for he has the solution to all...
      Email:[ PRIESTAZIBASOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL COM ]
      WhatsAPP DR [ +2348100368288 ]

      Delete
    3. THANKS TO DOCTOR OSAZE WHO HELP ME BRING MY EX WIFE BACK AFTER FIVE YEARS, MY WIFE LEFT ME FOR ANOTHER MAN BECAUSE OF A VERY SLIGHT QUARREL.
      I TRIED ALL MY POSSIBLE BEST TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE, BUT MY WIFE WAS HAVING A BAD ADVICERS TELLING HER NOT TO EVER RETURN TO ME,UNTIL I CAME ACCROSE WITH DR OSAZE'S TESTIMONIES AND RECOMMENDATIONS ONLINE, ON HOW HE HAS HELPED PEOPLE BRING THEIR EX LOVERS BACK, AND I DECIDED TO TELL HIM MY SAD LOVE STORY, AND HE ASK ME TO DO CERTAIN INCANTATION AND WITHIN SEVEN DAYS, MY WIFE RAN BACK TO ME, AFTER DOCTOR OSAZE PERFORM HIS MAGICAL SPELL.
      IN CASE YOU ARE PASSING THROUGH SIMILAR PROBLEM, AND YOU NEED DR OSAZE ASSISTANCE, YOU CAN CALL OR WHATSAP HIM ON +2347089275769 EMAIL DROSAZE39@GMAIL.COM

      Delete
  2. Here, Ohio, USA, my family have heard two theories, one, that it refers to 9 cubic yards of heating coal, as delivered, and two, that it refers to the capacity of a modern concrete truck. Thus, when someone is wanting a full load, it is referred to as, give me "the whole none yards."

    ReplyDelete
  3. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +15068001647
    you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. Thank you Dr OGEDEGBE for saving my broken Marriage. Dr OGEDEGBE is the best online spell caster that is powerful and genuine, you can as well contact him for the following services, Death Spell, Lottery Spell, Promotion Spell, Goodluck Spell, Pregnancy Spell. etc Email him now today. Email him: dr.ogedegbe6@gmail.com or  dr.ogedegbe6@yahoo.com whatsapp him via +2348109374702

    ReplyDelete

Never hesitate to ask a question or comment on something, this is an open minded and free space.

If you want to contact me privately do so at: theothersideoffunerals@gmail.com

~